Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tasting - Rubus Cabernet Sauvignon

Name: Rubus 
Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: Napa Valley, California
Country: USA
Year: 2012
Price: Regular Price: $100.00; Sale: $24.95
Winery Review: Its long finish displays full mature flavors of blackberry, currant, and chocolate with just a hint of toasty oak and black cherry. The tannins are refined and polished, allowing the fruit to be the focus. Serve this Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon with a variety of bold preparations ranging from Osso Bucco to grilled red meats and cheeses. 
Personal Review: This wine smelled like blackberries, dark chocolate, and dark, overripe cherries. The wine was thick and chewy with flavors of currants, dark chocolate, plums, blackberry jam, sour Granny Smith apples, and cherries. This Cabernet Sauvignon was also a bit spicy on the finish, which added some complexity. I could appreciate the blended flavors of the wine, but this was the 8th wine in a row I had tried and unfortunately, was not in the best of moods for trying wine at this point. I would love to try this wine again by itself so I can decide whether or not I really like it. Prior to trying this Cabernet Sauvignon, I tried two very similar-tasting red wines, so it was hard to set them all apart from each other. This wine tasted pretty good, but it did not blow me away. I even tried to clear my palate with some bread prior to trying this wine, but it did not really help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment